x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • Terrick's Mod App c; [USA]

Discussion in 'Moderator Applications' started by Terrick, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. Terrick

Terrick Experienced Member

Your in-game name: Terrick
      What timezone are you in? US Eastern Standard
      What languages do you speak? Having grown up in a bilingual family, I speak both English and Danish fluently, with a basic grasp and understanding of the two other Nordic languages (Swedish & Norwegian) as well as German and Italian.
      Have you ever been banned? (if yes, why?) I have not.
      Why do you think you should be a mod? First things first, the driving motivator behind this application is the fact that - during my peak hours online - there seems to be a gap in the availability of the moderating team. Particularly approaching the late American hours of the weekdays (ranging between 11PM and 2AM), online staff are few and far between. This means that a lot of rule-breaking activities (i.e. scams, island raids etc) go on for a long time without being handled, and - in worst case scenarios when the logs fail - sometimes completely unnoticed. Having a strong past experience working with community coordination (both professionally and out of interest) and a very broad background with Minecraft servers, something I'll address in the last question here, I am certain that I could provide the necessary expertise to the server in the hours where the staff is at work or asleep, as me being located in Europe, and working full-time (but great hours), enables me to provide activity and assistance when the European team cannot.
      How long have you been playing on Mineverse? Alongside my time spent on the skyblock sister servers, I have racked up a total of a year on Mineverse in total. I have been swapping between all of it's sister servers for quite some time and I have come to enjoy the time spent on all of them.
      How long can you be active on the server everyday? Working full-time, my activity ranges a lot. Some days I'll be able to put in 4-6 hours, and other days I'll be able to put in 2. As a bare minimum, I'll be able to sacrifice at least three hours daily, in that range I mentioned above from 11PM to 2AM (UTC+0), and seeing as I work from a computer with a lot of personal freedom, I'll usually be available on Skype if the server needs someone to step in, in case of the rest of the team being preoccupied.
      Do you have any past experience as a moderator? I've a great deal of experience in the field. As I mentioned above, community coordination is one of my strong points, especially seeing as communication is one of the majors I graduated in, some two years ago. Additionally, I've led a large number of online projects, and far too many for me to sum up here, so let me briefly discuss the most relevant one for the moderator position here.

A few years back, when Minecraft was still in its beta stages, I ran a vanilla-based survival server with two friends, one of them being a fellow student. Initially, the server was intended for a small group of people, but as I began developing a range of new ideas and implementations for the server, that set us apart from the general pool of servers available, we saw our traffic and later our member participation to greatly rise. As we installed our final implementation, an automatic whitelist system that drew from players registered on the forums, things took a serious turn. Our server cap of 250 players had previously never been reached, but within the span of 3 months we hit it well over seventeen times, our forums reaching new heights at four thousand registered members, with an active pool of those members evening out to about 23% (anyone who has ever had their hands on the back-end of a forum understands the incredible achievement to have almost a quarter active members of total registrations). Donations alone were suddenly enough to sustain the server's otherwise high load, and we brought in enough to hire freelancers to do the work we couldn't do ourselves. However, the three of us all working freelance with graphic design and web development, there were few things we couldn't pull off ourselves, and the community was very helpful when we ran into barriers of one sort or another.

Safe to say, I've been across the board, from moderating small private servers to owning and managing servers to a point where they become a part-time job with an actual salary at the end of the assembly line.

Currently I work as an editor at a collaborative writing project titled 7 Billion & Me, something I am also the founder of, and thus working within teams, and applying my skills where necessary in a dynamic team environment is one of my strong sides, something that would be a perfect match for a server with a constant influx of new members, and an ever-changing staff.

Manifesto
      So, being online in hours where the staff usually is not, and having a strong suit of experience underneath my jacket when it comes to handling and managing both the back-end of the Minecraft servers, as well as the community that makes it what it is, I am most certain I would be able to apply my skills to benefit Skyblock overall. Regardless of whether or not the position is given to me, I will keep providing as much help as possible to donors and newcomers alike - something I'm doing my best to do already - but it is equally disappointing every night when people run into issues that I not only know that the staff team could easily handle, but that I've also seen them tackle in other situations, and not being able to provide the same level of assistance. Whenever a user gets stuck, or scammed out of half their belongings without a single screenshot, having the ability to check the logs and maybe, just maybe, provide that extra level of help to someone who has no clue where to go from their current position would be a huge weight off of the users' shoulders, and on my shoulders a title and position I'd hold with gratitude and a desire to help as well as possible in every single situation.

All things Terrick
      As most managers and leaders of any sort of community is most likely aware, team dynamics are much more than skills. It's not just what you know and whether or not you know how to apply that knowledge, it's also the persona you carry all those skills in. So here's a small summary of my life, my personality and my goals.

I'm currently 18 years old, and living in Florida. I was originally born in Florida, but I moved to Florida about five months ago because I was offered job here that I'd be stupid to turn down. I'm living in a three bedroom apartment with a childhood friend of mine, and the days surely do not pass slowly over here. I enjoy myself in social settings, and - being very extroverted - the local pub is the usual suspect when we go out for a bit of fun. When I'm not working, or enjoying a pint at the pub, I spend my time on my many interests ranging from graphics to web development, and all the way to parkour. Six years into my parkour, and I still wind up with broken bones so often that my family has stopped worrying for my damages. Safe to say, I probably enjoy the sport a wee bit more than my arms and legs do. I'm a very outgoing, friendly and down-to-earth person. I don't snob around in my own world, and if you invite me for coffee, I don't care if the mug says Starbucks or Carte Nóir Instant Coffee. I enjoy the company of others, and one of the main selling points of Skyblock when I first came here has been the ever-active and - often - very friendly atmosphere that surrounds the chat and the server in general.

I could go on for hours, pouring out my heart's content, but instead I'd like to give you all an open invitation to ask me as many questions as you wish. I might not be able to answer them all, but I'll give it my very best.

Thank you very much for your time, and I'll see you in-game!
      Best regards,
      Terrick

PS: Yes, I am aware there is no poll in this thread. To me, it seems superfluous. You're most welcome to post your opinion of me, but please articulate it in a reply, rather than clicking a radio box and moving on. That way, I'll be able to both read your feedback directly, and I'll be able to learn from it.

2. RachetSenpai

RachetSenpai Boss Member

laik ful supirt men admen plez

3. Terrick

1V1 Irl

Support it is, ty.

4. PlatinumBlad3

PlatinumBlad3 Experienced Member

No support. You posted on a ban appeal, and have a general negative attitude.

5. OnionOG

OnionOG Experienced Member

I find you funny af and you have a way with words that makes kids poop brix so. support.

6. OnionOG

@Platinum Does rating my posts negatively make you feel better about yourself? Are you unloved in real life? Are you a bully? do you get bullied? Don't take it out on me bud.

7. RachetSenpai

RachetSenpai Boss Member

Okay, let's not try to get negative here guys. :P

8. OnionOG

Whatever you say. Veteran mod. :$

9. PlatinumBlad3

@Oniontacobean Does rating my posts negatively make you feel better about yourself? Are you unloved in real life? Are you a bully? do you get bullied? Don't take it out on me bud.

You rate abused me, I think I have every right to rate negatively rate your posts.

10. RachetSenpai

RachetSenpai Boss Member

lmao

11. OnionOG

How in gods name did i rate abuse you?!?

12. PopIs_MyLife

PopIs_MyLife Legendary Member

Guys, this is an app, not a boxring... If you have a problem with each other, take it to a pm, no need to spam the thread.

13. PlatinumBlad3

I stated my opinion. Geez.

14. Terrick

It was my ban.
      Congratulations.

15. PlatinumBlad3

Since when do you ban?

16. jedijosiah

jedijosiah Well-Known Member

lol i support @Platinum so waht he posted in a ban appeal you have probably done the same more than once. also terrick's bad attitude is a facade he's really cute and cuddly on the inside.

17. Terrick

Since day one.
      You don't know me.

18. RachetSenpai

RachetSenpai Boss Member

Terrick just messes around all the time, but trust me, he's actully a good guy if you get to know him.

19. jedijosiah

jedijosiah Well-Known Member

see cute and cuddly

20. iGlitcher

iGlitcher Well-Known Member

Shupporrttttt.... I didn't know you worked on Vanilla in beta! :p:p :t:

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.