x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • New Rank - Junior Moderator

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by melgrath, Jan 4, 2015.

1. melgrath

melgrath Experienced Member

Good Day,

I come bringing an idea that a few other servers have introduced, which I feel could greatly improve overall gameplay.

Issue:
      There is currently an issue where the moderators are unfortunately stretched a bit thin. This is in no way a knock against them, merely a case of too few bodies to oversee a community as large as mineverse.

To add to these troubles, the current Moderator application process I feel is decent, but unfortunately just throws any new moderators into the deep end rather quickly. (Again, this is not a knock on anyone, merely it takes a short bit to adjust to a new role)

Resolution:
      While there is no singular answer on how to monitor chat across so many gamemodes, a method I have seen used to great success is "Jr Moderator"

This role in essence has no additional permissions besides /mute. This is great for immediate return on investment for the server, as these players would be able to maintain chat and prevent things like spamming or harassment. These activities would help take some of the burden off of the Moderator team to be everywhere at once.

In addition to the policing of chat, these "Jr Moderators" would be in essence applying to be a proper Moderator. They would be able to start small and see if they enjoy the responsibility or if it is not for them. This helps them not only grow into a role, but also gives the community an idea of how that player would be as a full Moderator.

If the player goes on a power trip, then maybe they should be bumped back down to their normal rank, but at least it lessens the risk of someone banning a large number of players before Mineverse were to find out they are not suited to that role.

Application Process:
      The application process to become a Jr moderator would actually take advantage of the current application process. A potential applicant would apply for one server they wished to be moderator on. They would fill out the proper template and be judged by the community as a possible good fit. This would hopefully be able to have a faster turnaround time on candidates, meaning the current staff could see a reprieve sooner.

Should they be selected and the current staff approve, they would be granted the Jr Moderator rank. From there, it would be up to community to provide feedback on their performance. (Maybe a new forums section with a rating system. Require comments maybe justifying any rating to prevent spamming or revenge) If a Jr Moderator is judged to be doing a proper job, the staff could then decide to make them a moderator of that gamemode.

As always, I am open to suggestions positive or negative, but please try to make it constructive. The more ideas people thrown out there, maybe one will be the perfect fit for the situation.

Regards,
      Melgrath

2. gabby

gabby Legendary Member

This is an excellent idea, I really hope Cyp adds it c; support ofc

3. Saturns

Saturns best valorant player Premium

Support :D

4. Lord Jaraxxus

Lord Jaraxxus Well-Known Member

Jr moderator would be a fantastic rank to help train and prepare the new moderators and would help the game play I think this needs to be accepted and added. Support

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Well-Known Member

Support this is an amazing idea

6. PlatinumBlad3

PlatinumBlad3 Experienced Member

This is needed, support.

7. Creepersteam

Creepersteam Experienced Member

Amazing idea! It really can determine how well a player can run the server, and can be decided by the community for a full mod.

Support.

8. Chibi

Chibi Boss Member

Support :)

9. Staty

Staty Experienced Member

No support. I think its kinda pointless.

10. Ilikeicecream83

Ilikeicecream83 Experienced Member

Support but I think "jr mod" sounds kinda werid I've seen a server before that calls the "helpers" I think this would be a better title for the "jr mods" so we would have Helpers and Mods. Maybe something like this:
      [Helper]

11. Fuse

Fuse Experienced Member

Maybe temp mod

12. melgrath

I agree on the title of the position. I am sure there are better options than Jr Moderator out there and your proposal sounds like a fantastic idea! I just wanted to make sure in my post I did not cloud the waters as to its purpose or function. That being said, I love the feedback and am all for it!

13. Confused

Confused Experienced Member

Support.

I think you should become Moderator :D

14. staffordjr9.

staffordjr9. Active Member

Support, great idea

15. Ozzy

Ozzy Experienced Member

1 u need commands and if they only can do /temp ban whats the point of that

16. Max

Max Janice's Mentor Premium

Well, you really don't just jump into the deep end like that.
      They prefer you to not do much moderating until you get the hang of everything. Which is basically your training process.

17. melgrath

I would argue the opposite actually. For a "trial" run at being moderator, you would not want to give out too much power. Remember that this role is predominately aimed at policing chats as that seems to be where a majority of frustrations are currently. These players would still have to report the more serious infractions such as hacking or repeated bad behavior on the forums or directly to Moderators.

It would be my expectation though that since these are Jr Moderators, should they make a report, the actual Moderators could take quick action and temp ban/ban as needed.

18. Majorminor15

Majorminor15 Experienced Member

SupportSupportSupportSupportSupport.

19. Spice

Spice Boss Member

I like the way this is proposed, but I have mixed feelings about how well this would tie in. This would be a good addition to everything, it could prevent some power-hungry people from being too high up, the staff team might get some legitimately good additions, yet I don't feel like a simple command or two is a good way to grow into a better staff member, you get me? Back in ye olden days, the staff team would help each other with everything, learning, commands, threads, all of it. The staff that got this treatment became absolutely incredible additions to the team (take @Firo3000, I showed him, and he is, for lack of a better word, perfect). I don't know if that's still a custom, but if it is, I think that should be the way to go (if it's not a thing anymore I've lost all respect for staff).

TL;DR
      Good idea, well written.
      I feel modding should be more based on communication, teamwork, learning through hands-on experience, other things like that.

20. melgrath

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback. I would love to see the exact approach you have listed above as a long term "Moderator University" of sorts. This suggestion was aimed at a combination of making better use of the current application system, and trying to provide some immediate reinforcements to the current staff.