x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • NA [USA] Melgrath's Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Accepted Applications' started by melgrath, Dec 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. melgrath

melgrath Experienced Member

How old are you?
      Your in-game name:
      • Melgrath
      What timezone are you in?
      • Central US Time
      What country do you live in?
      • United States
      What languages do you speak?
      • English with the ability to get by in Spanish and German decently well.
      Why do you think you should become a mod?
      • I have volunteered on numerous other servers as a Moderator/Admin (details see below).
      • As a professional in my career, dealing with customers in a calm and professional manner is part of what I am paid to do. As such, I will always treat members of the mineverse community politely and professionally, setting aside any personal feelings.
      • I have a solid understanding of most of the mods in play on mineverse from previous experience (especially skyblock having rewritten a few sections of an older version of the plugin for another server)
      • I am VERY concerned with maintaining a proper atmosphere that is conducive to players of all ages. In the past, servers I worked with were very strict about maintaining a PG style atmosphere. I do not believe that is necessary (or desired) here at Mineverse, but I would like to keep things PG-13 when possible.
      • I am very fair in punishments or steps taken when it comes to rules violations. I will do everything in my power to prevent having to use commands to resolve a situation, but if that time comes, I know my use of those commands will be fair.
      • I am open to player feedback. In the past I was a bit too draconian when I started. Players gave me this as feedback, and I loosened up a bit. I still enforced the rules, but sometimes let more slide without punishment for spur of the moment things. (Think of what you may say if you stub your toe. You wouldn't say those words everyday, but in the moment it hurts!)
      Traits:
      • Analytical
        • I tend to approach things very logically, sometimes to a fault. I enjoy analyzing data and trying to find ways to improve on things. I tend to do this everywhere in my life, work, games, and at home.
      • Empathy
        • I try my best to understand how others feel and their points of view. This can be difficult obviously as people vary widely. That being said, I am great at listening to the problems of others and understanding where they are coming from. This helps to ensure that any advice I may offer is offered with their feelings in mind.
        • The above being said, I tend to have zero empathy for trolls/neerdowells. I simply cannot understand the mindset and will stick firmly to rules when in doubt.
      • Versatile
        • This is a trait I am quite proud of having overcome a more rigid past (See Moderator experience). In the past I was always a stickler for timelines, being on-time, and the letter of the law. I have relaxed much more in my old age and am now much better at rolling with the punches.
      • Polite/respectful
        • I always work to maintain a polite and respectful atmosphere when working in any professional capacity. This includes work, home or gaming. I still enjoy joking with friends and the community, but only when outside of a role of responsibility. If I am telling you to stop breaking rules, it will be polite and respectful, but after that, beware my sarcasm!
      • Humorous
        • This, can unfortunately be a two way street. I love to joke around and my sarcasm generator is constantly running at 110%. Unfortunately the disadvantages of typing, is that sarcasm is not always conveyed well. I try my best to keep my joking to a minimum in chats until I get to know someone, and them me. This avoids hurt feelings or perceived slights.
      • Imaginative
        • I like to combine my analytical side with my creative side. I tend to have a very active imagination and love to think of creative ways to resolve issues. I try to make sure though that any suggestion I have to creatively resolve an issue, always comes with the appropriate analysis of its strengths and weaknesses.

How long can you be active on the server everyday?
      • Varies depending on travel for work, but typically play 2-5 hours
        • Note: Work travel is infrequent, but a times I am sent onsite with 24 hour notice, so may be gone for up to a week. During these times I typically log on from my hotel, but depending on the situation, this can vary.
      Have you ever been banned in the past?
      • Negative
      Do you have any past experience as a moderator?
      • I have functioned as a Moderator/ Admin on 3 other servers to date. The last being about a year ago before I wished to just be a player again.
      • Admin experience was on a Tekkit server with a 200 player cap (150-170 peak users)
      • Moderator experiences were on two different server "networks" with 500 and 1000 user caps for the network respectively.
      • I also at one point tinkered with the idea of creating my own server with some friends (former admins themselves), but in the end, we just did not know enough on the hosting side to be comfortable with a launch. (Amusingly I think I still have our spawn and config laying around somewhere on my NAS)
      • My focuses when working at this rank was around chat management and providing a fun atmosphere for all ages. On my last server, things such as swearing and spamming were heavily frowned upon, so I worked mostly as a gentle reminder, but at times mutes were given and the occasional temp ban in extreme situations.
      • In addition to bettering the community, I often spent a great deal of time studying the mods that were in use on a given server. This went beyond a simple understanding of the configurations, but extended into actually breaking down the packages themselves to better understand the code and why certain things could be a risk to the server.
        • As mentioned above, I did this extensively for the skyblock plugin and am very familiar with how things such as /is level actually calculate the level and what values are associated with which blocks. As part of the adjustments, we added additional blocks and tweaked block values to prevent things such as "tree spamming" to increase island levels.
      Which two servers would you like to moderate? (Recommended pick the two servers you play the most)
      • Skyblock - there is a great deal of spamming and cussing in my experience playing here that I would very much like to work on curtailing.
      A bit about me (additional)
      • I work as a Technical Architect for a software company in the Midwest. My primary responsibilities are around performance issues for servers and escalations from our consultants. Basically I function as a firefighter for our larger customers when things do not go according to plan. (Focus is on databases)
      • I recently have gotten engaged with a wedding set late 2015. Luckily she doesn't mind my gaming addictions so I knew she was a keeper.
      • Most of my games center around building, but I enjoy the occasional MMORPG. (FFXIV, Eve, etc)
      • I am also an avid weight lifter having used it to great effect when losing weight. Finally hit a few of my personal goal in the last month or two and hoping to hit the rest this year. (315lb bench finally achieved!)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    2. BDON33

BDON33 Experienced Member

I think the application so far is a good start. Just need to add some detail and colour and maybe try and get to know the community a bit more (Aim for Member or Active Member)
      Anyways i think if you add more detail then I'll support you.
      EDIT: Support from me!!
      Good luck ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    3. Blocky

Blocky Experienced Member

More detail on why do you want to be a mod. (look at other apps for inspiration)
      more color.
      Get to Active member maybe :)

4. melgrath

Thanks for the feedback. I have been working on being more active in the forums (lots in suggestions lately), but prior to that had just been a forum lurker.

I will work on updating the application a bit when I get back.

Edit: Updated content, but I don't necessarily believe in doing a bunch of color. I'm a fan of content standing on it's own merit more than colors. I can amend this of course if more people have feedback along those lines.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    5. LimeCoconutShake

LimeCoconutShake Experienced Member

It's an appreciable application. The only critisizm I would imply would be adding more detail to the "Why do you think you should become a mod?" section. I think of that to be the most significant part. Otherwise, I support. Good luck. :)

6. melgrath

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback. As soon as I get off this conference call I will take a look and see what I can do.

Cheers,
      Melgrath

EDIT: Updated the "Why do you think you should become a mod" section as requested.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    7. Zulfqar

Zulfqar Well-Known Member

Good Luck.

8. Kleon678

Kleon678 Active Member

support

9. HeyItsAlan

HeyItsAlan Experienced Member

support. i think u are very nice on skyblock and skyblock needs mods because barely any get on

10. melgrath

Thanks for the feedback!

11. Saturns

Saturns best valorant player Premium

Support :D

12. gabby

gabby Legendary Member

Support

13. ChloyyBear

ChloyyBear Well-Known Member

A remarkable application! Though I have never met you, you are able to easily persuade me into supporting this application with it's professionalism, intelligence, and an abundance of experience. As you have already responded to this comment, I just want my thoughts cleared: I would enjoy seeing you more active on here. Other than that, I have no complaints. Support and good luck.

14. melgrath

Thank you very much for the kind words. I will admit my initial application post was not quite as detailed as what it currently is. I did not fully grasp the level of detail required for these applications. As to the professionalism, I am a firm believer that all communications should be suited appropriately to the environment. As this application is in essence an interview, I wanted to make sure I put my best foot forward.

I am working hard on being more active on the forums and have been posting to the Discussion and Suggestion forums more frequently. If you have any feedback on any of those posts, I am always open to constructive criticism.

Cheers!
      Melgrath

15. Confused

Confused Experienced Member

He's more active than you Rei, don't judge if you don't know how active he is trying to be.

Support, nice application, mature and very professional!

16. Majorminor15

Majorminor15 Experienced Member

Great application, support. Also, congrats on the engagement!

17. SeanDF

SeanDF Boss Member

Amazing application, support.

18. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Well-Known Member

How would of even know that

19. Confused

Confused Experienced Member

I'm more active than you and he is always online when I'm online. Please lets stay on topic or start a conversation.

20. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Well-Known Member

Uh um okay

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.