x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • Global Disable vpn's and start ip-banning

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Anni558, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Anni558

Anni558 Established Member

This is one of the easiest fixes for the current hacker problem. At some point went there was no known anticheat bypass after they fixed the last bypass there was bearly any hackers the server was popping at 40 players (on op pvp) it was really fun. Now that there's a new swarm of hackers its unplayable and there 6 concurrent players on op pvp at most. Everytime i log on a vpn it asks me to do a captcha so I know you guys are capable of detecting them. I understand this might cause an issue for privacy and everything but really it's the only solution I see + I don't think any admin would leak ip's as it would ruin the server's reputation and there's literally no use for leaking ip's.

2. Anni558

Anni558 Established Member

3. EveramSyndicate

EveramSyndicate Active Member

cuz me and porky cheat on alts with vpns

4. Atom

Atom Legendary Member

Most people use vpns to try and stay safe online.

5. EveramSyndicate

most people ban evade with vpns* i've never met someone who uses it for safety because its such an inconvenience

6. Carbonyx

Carbonyx Experienced Member

I don't know about "most people" using VPNs for privacy but saying it's an inconvenience is just wrong.

Any VPN worth their salt is going to have a client with a button to turn on/off the VPN, as well as being able to choose which country to connect to.

There isn't an inconvenience there at all. What is inconvenient is getting your IP leaked by not using a VPN. I'm not saying that like it's commonplace, but it can and does happen.

7. EveramSyndicate

vpns disconnect you when you turn it on or off, they require you to pass a security test upon joining a server, they require you to actually obtain it, usually costing money. its not worth the effort when you can change your ip with other methods if it ever gets leaked, which is very unlikely

8. NQ6

NQ6 Active Member

If this is something that Noob takes with immediate concern, I believe I could be of assistance. I've cataloged over 16,000+Hosting providers and have a public detection api.

9. TheOnlyKirb

TheOnlyKirb Established Member

Personally I use a VPN for almost everything, and my dorm (and most dorms now) have a VPN-esque system (proxy) built into their wifi, which is- super nice, however it would be a pain to suddenly toggle a VPN just to play a game, as other services that run in the background would be open as well. It's not as simple as just deciding not to use it. While some people may use a VPN for malicious activities, there's a bright and important good side to being able to use them.

Furthermore, I feel as though banning VPN's wouldn't actually help much. Sure, it may deter some users from committing nefarious acts, but there are many other ways to get around an IP ban that don't rely on a VPN.

It's important to remember why VPNs are around, privacy and protection- just because a few bad apples decide to cause trouble does not mean that those who use it for legitimate reasons should be punished for it.

*If* there are reasons that are unknown to me that would cause a ban on VPNs to be put into place, a possible way to allow the good users/players to continue on a VPN would be a form on the forums/website that allow a user to request permission to use a VPN. This would allow the player to continue playing on *that* account without issues on a VPN, while keeping those who wish to cause issues away from the server.

And as I do see both sides to this, I don't want to see a policy put into place that could harm those who truly wish to protect themselves and their digital lives with a VPN. But again, I can see why having a blanket ban could be beneficial- even though I don't like the idea of it.

10. Carbonyx

What?
      I'm talking broad scope here, but Minecraft captchas usually consist of one click, if I'm not mistaken.
      Which is a price I and many others are absolutely willing to pay to protect our identities online. I don't give a damn about privacy, tbh, but I'm not letting some random kid know exactly where I am at any given point. If a big company wants to gather data on me, I don't really care, but I'm not letting my public IP address be used for malicious purposes.

Unlikely, yes. Unheard of, no, not at all.

11. EveramSyndicate

I use a vpn on a daily basis, and I know its not something I would pay for (i got mine free), if you dont know vpns disconnect you then you dont know enough about them to argue your point.
      As for how likely it is to get your ip leaked, I've had my ip leaked once in my life and I have hundreds of people trying to get it, I'm considered an enemy of both the gang and glo.

12. Carbonyx

That's enough for me right there. You do know what a VPN does, right? They're not cheap to operate, and if you're using a VPN for free, you are getting your data sold to a malicious third party.

You know how I know this? While connected to a Canadian server on a free VPN a few years ago, my Spotify account was stolen by someone that spoke French.

And I still don't get what you're trying to say here. My wifi disconnects me every time I restart my PC, and most VPNs can be configured to be enabled on boot.

13. Sando3

Sando3 Tom Holland Premium

^ I'd be willing to support if this would be the case. Simply limiting who is allowed to take the captcha verification. For example limiting it to a specific donator rank or it being requestable on the forums

I don't support disabling VPNs as a whole though

14. NQ0

NQ0 Active Member

Yessss, we need this, hackers are annoying when they bypass

15. NQ6

NQ6 Active Member

I suppose I agree.
      However, you're just gonna get new people on new alts coming on.

16. SickL

SickL Active Member

Support, I think the numbers of hackers would decrease and to everyone using vpn for privacy and safety and stuff, I don't know about you but my internet provider allows me to change my ip address within 10-30 min whenever I want :3

17. amit itskovich

amit itskovich Active Member

I think you mods start making those ip ban because everyone got like 1000 accounts that he can hack on and thats very stupid

18. Pink

Pink Well-Known Member

No support, back in the days when I was a mod, I would use alt's such as McLeaks to play without getting recognized and spammed so I could play the game like a regular player. When I log into a Mcleaks account for example, it comes under my ip, so if the next day another person goes on that alt and hacks for example, I get banned because its on my IP. In my opinion a better anti cheat, and longer ban times for hacks would work.

19. amit itskovich

amit itskovich Active Member

that is what i think they should do

20. JustExposed

JustExposed Experienced Member

no support reason listed above