x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • DoS, DDoS and Doxing - Explained properly (with prevention).

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winnfield, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Winnfield

Winnfield Boss Member

There has been a lot of confusion recently on what each of these is, and yet they are quite different, people don't understand what they are or what they mean. Hopefully this thread will help clear up some concerns / questions people have regarding these terms.

DDoS, DoS, and Doxing.
      DoS - Denial of Service
      This is probably the most common type of attack, as it uses only one computer, and one connection - therefore relatively easy to perform. The aim of a DoS is to flood a server with packets, which will eventually overload the server and make it inaccessible to users trying to connect to it. (Taking it down).

DDoS - Distributed Denial of Service
      This is the most commonly
      used term. As people simply don't understand the concept of these attacks. A DDoS uses multiple connections, and multiple computers to flood the target. These connections are usually round-the-globe - sometimes botnets, or 'slaves'.

It is rare that an individual will be DDoSed, as it takes multiple computers, and connections - thus taking time to prepare.

Due to a DDoS being performed by multiple sources, this will mean the flooded server will not be able to withstand the attack as well as it would be able to with a DoS.

Dox - Alternate word for docs
      This is also a commonly unknown term. Dox isn't an attack as such, as it is a trick. Although some may see doxing as an attack, some may not.
      A dox is when the doxing user searches for your private and public information to identify you further - this is typically done with malicious intent.

What is a botnet?
      A botnet is a network of computers maliciously infected with malware without the machine owner's permission or knowledge. A botnet is typically used for DDoS attacks, or to send spam. A botnet can also be referred to as a 'Zombie Army'.

How to prevent:

A DoS -
      Most internet connections and computers are secured to stop flooding, which should automatically prevent DoSing. However, this isn't always as effective as it may sound.

A DDoS (and DoS) -
      It is much harder for a connection to stop (automatically) multiple attacks, therefore it will most likely require you to apply some extra protection yourself.
      A VPN will prevent these attacks, yet many VPNs aren't safe themselves, so you should do some research into good VPNs. (I won't post any here due to the rules).

A Dox -
      There are multiple ways to prevent a Dox, and many of them require nothing but common sense. I will list a few ways below to prevent yourself from being Doxed;

• Social networking
        • Get off it, or ramp up your privacy like mad.
          • This is by far the easiest way to dox someone, as most likely all your information will be kept on social media.
      • Don't use the same email for multiple websites
        • Using the same email may result in you being tracked to different places.
          • Example: I used my Facebook email here, where else could they find my email then....
      • Use fake profiles
        • So this may seem like some sort of conspiracy or something, but your information is private - if you wish to keep it that way, keep reading.
          • Using your real name and email address will result in... being doxed.
            if you use a fake name, email, and information on websites like Facebook, then the doxers will have no chance of finding you.
      • Common sense & privacy settings
        • I don't want to sound like your mother, but I will have to if you want to be dox-proof.
          • Everything you post may help somebody know something more about you. Especially public pictures of yourself, and statuses. Make sure you keep your privacy settings to your friends-only, and be mindful of who you are actually friending.
          • Don't sign up to places you don't have to.
            • Even I have fallen for this trap, and my Junk email section is pretty full.
            • When you sign up to a website - what's stopping that website from selling your personal information to other companies? It does happen, and very often.
      • Dox yourself, and cover your traces
        • I am not encouraging you learn how to dox like a master, or dox others, but a good way to prevent yourself from being doxed, is to dox yourself.
          • If you try and find personal information out about yourself, you will find where you have slipped up, and then later be able to cover that patch.
      • Use websites like Whoisguard (only if you own a domain or website)
        • If you own a website - this is most likely the easiest way to have your information leaked.
          • There are websites out there that tell anyone and everyone who you are and where you are if you own a website.
      • Don't open links unless you are certain what they are
        • There are many IP-capturing websites out there designed to catch your IP even just by clicking on the link.
          • Phishing is also another cause of being doxed, so watch out.
      Final note:

If you're lagging, or died in combat - this doesn't mean you were 'DDoSed', it just means you had some lag. Yet if you were attacked, it was most likely a DoS, as it's rare someone will group a DDoS just to attack an individual.
      On some internet connections - you are able to check your traffic, which will allow you to see if you are being DoSed or DDoSed or not.

I hope you enjoyed this thread, and I hope it helped you understand these different bits of terminology that are commonly used and misused.

Have a nice day
      ~ Elliot.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    2. Winnfield

Winnfield Boss Member

If you see any mistakes, feel free to correct me.
      :)

3. Wolfie

Wolfie Boss Member

This is very helpful! Now I can help prevent these. :P

4. Suchtryhard

Suchtryhard Experienced Member

None that I'm able to point out!
      Helpful thread! :)

5. CosmicGalaxy32

CosmicGalaxy32 Experienced Member

Can you PM me a good VPN, also do you use VPNs 24/7?

6. YouGotTheCombo

YouGotTheCombo Experienced Member

Finally an decent explanation, although I knew all this it is helpful for other people.

7. Rodeen

Rodeen Boss Member

A vpn just changes the ip people could see, it won't change your real IP address. If someone has your main ip using a vpn is useless, you might as well change your ip.

8. Winnfield

Winnfield Boss Member

:D
      Thank you :)
      I'll start a conversation within the next few minutes :)
      Thank you, and yes - it was intended for those who don't know a lot on this matter :)
      ^^