x
  • IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
    0 Players Online
  • Join our Discord!
    0 Users Online
  • [WARNING] Inappropriate language used in thread.

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ares_Xena, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Ares_Xena

Ares_Xena Legendary Member

Hi everyone,

!To the moderators; do not remove the swear words in this thread. Edit them to be appropriate if you like, but do not remove them entirely or make it not obvious what they are, otherwise, you defeat the purpose of this thread. If you are an easily offended snowflake, don't bother reading this. !

It's surprising to me that words like ''gay, lesbian, homo'' are blocked. This is not a suggestion thread to change this. It's a discussion. An open discussion for anyone to participate and share their opinions on what I have just displayed in front of you. Mineverse wants this server to be ''child friendly''. Children should be taught that words like ''gay, lesbian and homo'' are not inappropriate. Can they be used in an offensive context? Yes. Then again, anything can be used in an offensive context nowadays. People are too easily offended. Even a tiny word will trigger someone.

To me, being gay is normal. If someone calls you ''gay'', and you're not gay, then it could be intended as a swear word. Or it can be a misunderstanding, a question, etc. That, is a context. The word ''gay'' can be used to describe two men who are attracted to each other, or two women. Or used as an offensive word. It depends on the context. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to check the context of a sentence. Especially with such a wildly discussed topic.

Children between the age of 4 and 10 use common or made-up words to ''cuss'' at people. Also, the word ''cuss'' is weird. Nothing important but just thought I'd point that out. Children within that age group (and surprisingly adults sometimes) use words like ''poopoo'' in a context that is used to be offensive. Such as ''you are a poopoo head''. Or, it can be described to describe their poop.

^ That was a very basic example of context. Understanding what is and isn't appropriate is not the job of Mineverse. I get that. I'm not suggesting, implying or saying that is their job. But we're not exactly helping. This is why these snowflakes such as ANTIFA (who need to be exterminated by Daleks) keep complaining about the word ''gay''. And other political examples, but I'm not gonna jump into that.

A lot of people, even on this forum, are too easily offended. If you call someone a swear word *BAM*, you start an argument, a fight on the street, whatever. If someone refers to you as ''gay'', in an offensive context, just move on. Arguing or fighting about it waistes time that could have been spent on something productive.
      For whatever reason, people still believe that two people of the same gender being in love is special. It isn't. Stop treating these things as something special and accept it. It's an everyday thing of life. I'm sure that if I walk into town now I'd sooner find a gay couple rather than someone asking for a 'favour'.

Make of this thread what you like. Do not ban me for this. If you do, you shouldn't be a moderator. This is not intended to be political. But a discussion about changing the filter.

• Like Like x 4
    2. Bananurz

Bananurz Retired Head-Mod

i think we should just demote all the mods

3. Teeeb

Teeeb Senior Moderator Senior Moderator Competition Leader Discord Leader Competition Team

I made a thread like this, but you're making some good points.

4. Maxine

Maxine Well-Known Member

Hello,
      I agree - they should not be blocked. However, they would be used a lot to cause 'offense' for the people that think the words gay, lesbian and homo are offensive, which is stupid in my opinion.

Honestly, if I see someone bypass as in saying '_gay' or something along those lines I wouldn't warn unless they are saying it to harm someone. I wouldn't mind if the word was unblocked.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    5. Bananurz

Bananurz Retired Head-Mod

if someone calls me gay, im not offended

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ares_Xena

Ares_Xena Legendary Member

Did you remove some of the words used in this? If so, can you add them back, just filter them somewhat?

7. Maxine

Maxine Well-Known Member

I did not remove them.

8. Scorv

Scorv Gaming Warlord Premium

They shouldn't be filtered. But using them in the obvious form of an insult should receive a warn or something, because it gives a negative sense or impression for those words.

Mineverse shouldn't be a place where non-straight people can't talk about themselves. But it also shouldn't be a place where their sexual orientations are used as insults.

And obviously terms such as "queer, fag_got, fag, etc" should still be filtered. As those are purely used as insults.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    9. clxrity

clxrity dev Developer Premium

That wasn't at all the intention when censoring the words, as I'm sure you know. It wasn't taken into much thought when the words were censored. Since it's a Minecraft server, I assume it was just no brainer to censor them since at the time the words were more commonly used offensively (especially more at the time it was originally put into the filter).

But, yes, I agree with you. I've never punished someone for bypassing the filter to say "gay" if they aren't using it to be negative. Ideally, Minecraft wouldn't be the place where things like sexual orientation is discussed in the first place (which is why it was automatically filtered without worrying about that type of controversy)... But yeah, I'd love for it to be removed from the filter. Players would then only be "punished" or "warned" if being insulting with the word.

10. Alana

Alana Well-Known Member

I agree, words like "gay, lesbian, homo" and even "bisexual and transgender" should be allowed to say (not sure if those two are censored or not).

But if saying those words were intended as an insult to someone, they should receive a warn or something.

I love this thread

11. Teeeb

Teeeb Senior Moderator Senior Moderator Competition Leader Discord Leader Competition Team

They should be unfiltered.
      But they should be reportable if you feel they're being used in a negative way, and it should be up to the moderator handling the report to decide how to punish the person.

12. Purge

Purge Boss Member

How is gay homo and or lesbian offensive just saying "Im not gay" shouldn't be brought up as bad but maybe for someone who's gay or homosexual finds not being gay offensive" This is stereo typeing people who are gay as what the filter is doing people shouldn't be offended by belief's of others but nor should the filter target people who are dont "have most popularity belief."

13. 196

196 Boss Member

This subject is way, way too nuanced to take any action that will objectively satisfy everyone (or even most people). It's an unpopular opinion but honestly the best way to go about this would be to uncensor everything and let people report if they want to; if people want to say things then they will. By no means is it hard to bypass the filter.

14. Puppy

Puppy Active Member

What also slightly makes me mad, is how these words are blocked, yet someone can call another person things such as fat and ugly. This should be a rule, to be kind to one another. I had this problem, and I wanted to report, but I couldn't. Also, if a filter is broken and people are swearing, it's not bypassing because they CAN swear. Just putting that out there..

15. sircorgi

sircorgi Boss Member

actually tho

sexuality shouldn't be something to be used as an insult so it's sad that it is. But people need to stop TAKING it as one, and the rules aren't helping

16. Alex

Alex sweet roll Premium

People shouldn't be punished for using the word 'gay' in a negative way. Instead, they should be educated on the reasons why we should not use it to slander people. Personally, I feel it should be removed from the filter, we just need more people who are willing to call those out who choose to use it in a negative way.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Mega_

Mega_ Boss Member

Personally, I think they should just remove the filter. It doesn't stop anything it's easy to bypass and there are other words that mean the same thing. For example "gay" is filtered but you can just use "queer" as it isn't filtered or just put an _ before it.

18. Kam.

Kam. Active Member

I totally agree what you are saying. I personally think that they should remove it. People should get educated from this, and they should not block it. The words "gay" , "homo" , "trans" , "bisexual" , and "transgender" should not be blocked. If someone uses the words to insult or harass someone, then thats when they would get A warning or a tiny punishment, but the words should not be blocked.

19. WinterWaffles

WinterWaffles Experienced Member

I completely agree; any word can be put into an offensive context. I feel that it all comes down to a player's maturity, or clear lack of, and on a minecraft server you can expect the level of maturity to wildly vary. Players should enter servers knowing this and thus try not to take things said too seriously- you don't have to play with the chat on, after all.

20. Winnfield

Winnfield Boss Member

Away, you starvelling, you elf-skin, you dried neat's-tongue, bull's-pizzle, you stock-fish!

Boom. Some 20th century insults. These aren't filtered so why he hell should 'gay' be? Lol.

Remove these words or I shall scorn you, scurvy companion!

Why you poisonous bunch-backed toad!

Bet ya feel pretty offensivated huh @Jexica ?